A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6, Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and Neighbouring Parishes). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1992.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Elizabeth St. Albyn, by will dated 1738, gave £10, the interest to buy bread for the poor. John St. Albyn (d. 1744) left a similar sum for poor householders not receiving relief. The Revd. Lancelot St. Albyn in 1781 held both capital sums. (fn. 1) Between 1854 and 1863 the capital was invested, the churchwardens distributing the proceeds either in bread or in cash. (fn. 2) Mrs. Jane St. Albyn, by will proved 1891, gave £300 to be distributed at Christmas among the poor, a charity apparently shared with Holford. (fn. 3) The income from all three charities, together with that from George Paddon's educational charity, seems to have been distributed in Stringston, Kilve, and Holford in blankets, clothing, and coal, (fn. 4) but by 1931 Paddon's charity was identified as for the benefit of children. (fn. 5) By 1982 the charities were not being distributed. (fn. 6)