A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Charities for the poor
Almshouses for five women built in Hawfield Lane in 1887 were endowed by William Wardle of Winshill (d. 1889). (fn. 14) Of red brick with stone dressings, the houses are in a single one-storeyed block with a projecting gabled front and two gabled porches. Under a Scheme of 1909 their administration was transferred to the trustees of the Consolidated Charities of Burton-upon-Trent. (fn. 15)
Harriet Walton Jefford (d. 1922) left money for the erection of almshouses for women, and by 1925 two houses had been built in Wheatley Lane. Under a Scheme of 1954 their administration was transferred to the trustees of the Consolidated Charities of Burton-upon-Trent. (fn. 16)
By will proved in 1859 Joseph Wilson of Burton mill left an income of £1 10s. to be distributed among 10 poor people of Winshill. The charity was transferred to the Consolidated Charities of Burton-upon-Trent under a Scheme of 1905, when each person received 2s. 6d. (fn. 17)
By will proved 1895 Hugh Brookes of High Bank left £100 for a distribution in the form of tickets to ten poor women in Winshill on New Year's day. The charity still existed in 1999, but because the investment was so small distributions were no longer made. (fn. 18)