A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9, Burton-Upon-Trent. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2003.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There was a day school in 1833, probably replaced by the National school opened in 1846 on a surviving piece of the village green at the junction of Horninglow Road North and Farm Road. Paid for with the aid of grants from the National Society and the Privy Council, the building is of red brick with a bellcote and Gothick windows. (fn. 15)
Horninglow was included in a school board district established for the Burton area in 1873, and a board school was built in 1876 south-east of the village in Horninglow Road North. (fn. 16) A board school for the growing part of the township east of the canal was built in 1881 on land between Stafford Street (boys' entrance) and Goodman Street (girls' and infants' entrances), and a third board school was opened in Shobnall Road in the south of the township in 1888. (fn. 17) The Horninglow Road North, Stafford Street, and Goodman Street schools remained all-age schools until 1929, when the senior boys were transferred to Victoria Road school, in Burton, and Goodman Street became a senior school for girls. (fn. 18) Seniors from Shobnall Road school were probably transferred about the same time.
When a new secondary school for both boys and girls was opened in Harehedge Lane in 1958, the Goodman Street building became Lansdowne junior school. In 1991 the juniors were moved to Eton Park school in Mansfield Crescent, so making room for the infants from the Stafford Street building, which was demolished. The Goodman Street building remained in use in 1999 as Lansdowne infants school. The Horninglow Road school became an infants' school only but the Shobnall Road school remained a primary school in 1999.
Several other primary schools have been opened: William Hutson junior school in Harehedge Lane (1953); (fn. 1) St. Modwen's Roman Catholic primary school in Belvoir Road (1969); Belvedere junior school in Outwoods Street (1973); Castle Park infants' school off Tutbury Road (1972); and Eton Park junior school in Mansfield Crescent (1991).
Horninglow secondary school on the south side of Harehedge Lane was opened in 1958. In 1975 it was amalgamated with Dovecliff grammar school just over the Stretton boundary to become Wulfric comprehensive school, which in turn was amalgamated in 1985 with Forest of Needwood high school in Rolleston to become the present De Ferrers high school. The Horninglow buildings are occupied as the Dove Campus site of that school, and an extension was built in 1996. (fn. 2)