Venice: August 1582

Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 8, 1581-1591. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1894.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


'Venice: August 1582', in Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 8, 1581-1591, ed. Horatio F Brown( London, 1894), British History Online [accessed 21 July 2024].

'Venice: August 1582', in Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 8, 1581-1591. Edited by Horatio F Brown( London, 1894), British History Online, accessed July 21, 2024,

"Venice: August 1582". Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 8, 1581-1591. Ed. Horatio F Brown(London, 1894), , British History Online. Web. 21 July 2024.

August 1582

Aug. 4. Copy of Original Despatch, Venetian Archives. 97. Hieronimo Lippomano, Venetian Ambassador in Germany, to the Doge and Senate.
On the 14th July the Duke of Alençon was received with great pomp in Bruges. They solemnly conferred on him the titles of Duke of Brabant, Count of Flanders. The Duke will go to England to visit the Queen before he returns to France, perhaps in the hope of receiving some considerable help.
Augsburg, 4th August 1582.
Aug. 6. Original Despatch, Venetian Archives. 98. Matheo Zane, Venetian Ambassador in Spain, to the Doge and Senate.
On the 24th (of July) came the longed for news that one of the four ships of the East Indian fleet had arrived off Cape St. Vincent. It had been forced to alter its route to avoid English and French corsairs. This raises hopes that the others will soon arrive safely.
Madrid, 6th August 1582.
Aug. 11. Original Despatch, Venetian Archives. 99. Matheo Zane, Venetian Ambassador in Spain, to the Doge and Senate.
After sending the news that Don Antonio's fleet was in sight of the island of St. Michel we learned that the enemy had approached the land and disembarked perhaps 1,500 infantry without any opposition, either from that island or any of its neighbours. The castle of St. Michel still held for the King, and was supplied with ammunition and provisions for one month. The Bishop, Captain Lorenzo Noguera, a Spaniard, and six hundred men were in the castle, and with the sailors of the ships which had been run ashore to save them from the enemy, the castle will have a garrison of one thousand in all; although it is old, it has been repaired and put in a state of defence.
Madrid, 11th August 1582.
Enclosed in Despatch of August 17. 100. At midnight letters from the Prior Don Hernando arrived from Oporto, with news that a spy of Don Antonio had been seized on board a vessel sailing to France. The Prior also says that on the 24th July the French fleet sighted that of his Majesty. They engaged from the 24th to the 27th. The ship of Strozzi and the Count of Vimioso pressed the flag-ship of the Marquis of Santa Cruz very hard; the S. Martin and the S. Mathew, flying the Spanish flag went to his rescue, and Strozzi, Vimioso, and Lansac were taken, Don Antonio's fleet broken up, and he himself fled to the Azores.
Aug. 24. Original Despatch, Venetian Archives. 101. Giovanni Moro, Venetian Ambassador in France, to the Doge and Senate.
Monsieur de Brisac, who sailed with Don Antonio, returned to Normandy a few days ago. He brings news that Don Antonio's fleet encountered the Spaniards, and was worsted. Don Antonio himself escaped, but it is not known where he is. This news has troubled the Queen-Mother, even to tears. Certain information is wanting.
Paris, 24th August 1582.
Aug. 20. Original Despatch, Venetian Archives. 102. Matheo Zane, Venetian Ambassador in Spain, to the Doge and Senate.
Yesterday, very late, other letters from Portugal of the 16th arrived in confirmation of the victory. The battle began on the 24th, and was renewed many times till the 28th. The Marquis's flag-ship being hard pressed was helped by the galleons. They won the victory, and hoisted the Royal ensign on the enemy's ships. Strozzi and Vimioso were captured. They say that Don Antonio left the fleet three days before the fight, and went to the Azores. His Majesty is all the more content at this victory, as he dreaded the reverse.
Madrid, 20th August 1582.
Enclosed in Despatch of August 25. 103. Summary of the operations of his Majesty's fleet commanded by the Marquis of Santa Cruz.
The Marquis sailed from the Port of Lisbon on the 10th of July, with 28 ships and five transports, without waiting for the fleet of 18 ships, two galleons, 12 galleys, and two transports, which was expected from Andalusia. He sailed till the 22nd, when he arrived off St. Michel's on the side of Villa Franca, a town of perhaps five hundred houses. He sent to reconoitre, but the party was prevented from landing by harquebus fire. At that moment the enemies fleet hove in sight. After carefully counting the sail it was estimated at about sixty. A council of war was held and the question of giving battle was raised. The Marquis had not more than 23 ships, two galleons, and four transports. Three of his ships were wanting; one had made so much water on leaving harbour that she had to put back, and other two sailed a day late and missed the main squadron. In spite of this they prepared to give battle, but firing a gun as an invitation, to which the enemy replied. But the calm destroyed their scheme.
The same night the Marquis had information that on the 15th of the month Don Antonio had arrived in the island, and had landed some three thousand men. Don Lorenzo Noguera skirmished with them, but was forced to retire to the fortress, along with the son of the Governor, the Bishop, the Corregidor and other knights.
On Monday the 23rd, both fleets offered battle. The enemy was divided into three squadrons, and thrice it sailed up to ours, but without effect. On Tuesday the calm prevented operations.
On Wednesday the 25th the enemy attacked, with great advantage of the wind; both fleets kept up a good cannonade.
On Thursday the enemy again attacked. The battle was opened between the two flag-ships. The struggle lasted an hour, ending in the victory of the Marquis, who sank two vessels. After five hours of fighting, the enemy took to flight.
Filippo Strozzi, commander of the fleet, was wounded and taken, and soon after died. So did the Count de Brisac, and the Count of Vimioso. Mons. de Bearimont died the next day. Mons. de Rus, captain in the King's guard, fled in a boat. Mons. de Santa Solena fled with a whole regiment, without striking a blow. Mons. de Former did not fight. The Baron de Lansac escaped in a transport. Of the Count de Rochfoucauld and his regiment there is no news. The Count de Montgomery fled. Giovanni di Vius, captain of the irregulars, was taken. Of nobles of the island, 28 were taken prisoners, and 52 knights. The sailors and soldiers taken amounted to 313. The nobles and knights were decapitated in the Piazza of Villa Franca on August 1st. And the soldiers and sailors over eighteen years were hung.
Our losses were 220 killed and 553 wounded.