An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
36 FELTON (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVII, N.E., (b)XXVII, S.W., (c)XXVII, S.E.)
Felton is a small parish 7 m. N.E. of Hereford.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Michael stands in the E. part of the parish. The church is said to have been entirely re-built in 1853–4 and the spire was added in 1891. Old materials appear to have been re-used, more particularly in the lower walling of the chancel, nave, W. tower and the E. part of the vestry.
Fittings—Communion Table: with heavy turned legs moulded lower and carved upper rails, c. 1630, top raised. Chair: with turned front legs, shaped arms, scrolled back and cresting, c. 1640–50. Font: In churchyard—plain round tapering bowl, mediæval. In porch—small round bowl very crudely carved with cherub-head, shield-of-arms, etc., no drain, probably 17th-century, purpose uncertain.
b(2). Homestead Moat, S.W. of Hinton Farm and nearly 1 m. S.S.W. of the church, is of roughly rectangular form.
c(3). Felton Court, 720 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are ashlar-faced and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the 17th century, but has a modern N. range and other modern alterations. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
c(4). Middleton, house, two tenements, 600 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate, stone and tile-covered roofs. The N. wing was built in the 16th century and the cross-wing added at the S. end early in the 17th century; this was extended towards the E. late in the same century. The timber-framing is mostly exposed and the E. gable has diagonal framing. The upper storey projected on the N. and W. sides of the original block, but has been under-built. The late 17th-century W. chimney-stack has two diagonal shafts. Inside the building are some exposed moulded and chamfered ceiling-beams.
c(5). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 400 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a slate-covered roof. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed external framing and internal ceiling-beams.