A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Charities for the poor
William Morden in 1651 left £2 for a permanent stock for the poor, (fn. 1) but in 1775 and later the parish had no endowed charities. (fn. 2) The Settlement had charge of the Papworth Industrial Benevolent Fund set up in 1942 with an initial capital of £4,500 to provide for its retired employees and for widows of others. The Haynes Owen trust was set up in 1970 with a large gift of money to provide old people's homes on a site also given by the wife of Dr. T. M. Owen, formerly practising at Papworth. Some bungalows had been built by 1974. (fn. 3)