A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Holouth, 1326; Holuith, 1329; Holough, 1375.
This township is entirely separated from the main part of the parish by Forton in Cockerham, and about 60 acres of its southern edge lie in the latter parish. The area is 358½ acres, (fn. 1) and may be said to consist of a hill reaching about 100 ft. above sea level and sloping away to the boundary on all sides. In 1901 the population numbered twenty-five only. There is no considerable residence within it. A minor road from Cockersand eastward to join the north road from Preston to Lancaster crosses the south-west corner, as does also the Kendal Canal.
The base of Buck's Cross remains, and the site of another ancient cross is known. (fn. 2)
HOLLETH seems to have belonged to Forton. (fn. 3) There was never any manor, but Holleth is named in 1345 among the Rigmaiden properties. (fn. 4) It descended with Wedacre, (fn. 5) and so came to the Gerards and Hamiltons, lords of Wyresdale. At the sale in 1853 it was purchased by Mr. Richard Cardwell Gardner of Liverpool, who died in 1882. (fn. 6)
The canons of Leicester had right of common in Holleth in the parish of Garstang, but released it to Thomas de Rigmaiden in consideration of an annual rent of 20s. (fn. 7)
The Cawson family occur in the 17th century. (fn. 8)
About a fourth part of this township, in the southeast, lies within Garstang parish; the remainder is in Cockerham, where an account of the whole will be given.
Cayballes, 1328; Caboos, 1550.
This township has an area of 1,388 acres, (fn. 9) and a population of 171 according to the Census of 1901. From the Wyre on the east the surface rises till about 100 ft. above the ordnance datum is attained and then falls away to the west. The hamlet of Patten Arms lies in the north-west corner. Two roads go through it from Garstang northwards, one to Lancaster, the other to Cockerham. The railway from Preston to Lancaster crosses the north-east corner, and the canal between the same places winds along near the western side.
Carr Holme in Cabus was added to Garstang in 1887; at the same time a detached part of Barnacre with Bonds was added to Cabus. (fn. 10)
The soil is a heavy loam with clay subsoil. The land is almost entirely in pasture. About 1880 there was a tile manufactory worked by Mrs. Ormrod.
The pedestal of an ancient cross remains near cross roads on the north-west boundary. (fn. 11)
There was never any separate manor of CABUS, but the courts for the lordship of Nether Wyresdale were formerly held here at Goberthwaite. (fn. 12) This place is named in a grant by William son of Swain to his son Henry the Clerk. (fn. 13) Cabus occurs in an agreement made in 1340 between Dame Christiana de Lindsay and the abbey of Leicester. (fn. 14) It descended with Nether Wyresdale (fn. 15) and was purchased in 1853 by Peter Ormrod. It is now owned by Captain Peter Ormrod.