A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
This is a wide tract of hill country, most of it quite solitary, though the northern end has many farmsteads. The southern boundary is formed by Mallowdale Fell, a ridge 1,750 ft. above sea level. The Roebum rises in the south-east corner and flows north-west and then north to join the Hindburn at Wray; the latter half of its course lies through a wooded valley. On the western side it has Haylot, Winder and Whit Moor, the boundary hills decreasing in height till 600 ft. marks the northern boundary; on the eastern side are Salter Fell, Goodber Fell, Harterbeck and Outhwaite. The area is 8,840½ acres, (fn. 1) and the population in 1901 numbered 95.
There are roads up the valley from Wray and Hornby, as well as footpaths. One of these roads goes along the high ground of Salters Fell and over the border into Yorkshire; not a house is passed for many miles.
There was properly speaking no manor of ROEBURNDALE, which was part of the forest of the lords of Hornby, (fn. 2) and it continues to be part of the Hornby estate. It is scarcely ever named in the records, (fn. 3) but in the 16th and 17th centuries some minor estates appear, such as Scambler, (fn. 4) Outhwaite (fn. 5) and Winder. (fn. 6) John Coulston of Kellet in Roeburndale registered his estate in 1717 as a 'Papist. (fn. 7)