A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WRAY WITH BOTTON
This township consists of a long strip of hill-side land extending along the Hindburn from the Wenning on the north, south-east and south to the Yorkshire border, when a height of 1,784 ft. above sea level is attained. Wray, with a separate area of 1,247½ acres, occupies the northern end, the village, as in other cases, lying at the foot of the hills, from which the level ground extends beside the Hindburn as far as the Wenning. Botton, 5,277½ acres, has scattered farm-houses and a mill. The total area is 6,525 acres, (fn. 1) and in 1901 there was a population of 499.
From the village of Wray one road goes west to Hornby and Lancaster, another north to Wennington, crossing the Hindburn by Mealbank Bridge, and a third east over Hindburn Bridge to Bentham. Minor roads lead up the wooded valley. The Settle and Lancaster branch of the Midland railway crosses the northern end of the township.
The land is mostly used as pasture; the soil is gravelly with subsoil of clay. There is a cattle fair held on Shrove Tuesday. Bobbins are made. Seventy years ago hats and nails were manufactured here. (fn. 2)
The township is governed by a parish council.
WRAY, a part of the Hornby fee, does not appear to have been at any time regarded as a manor. It was named in the grant of free warren to Geoffrey de Nevill in 1279. In 1285 there were two free tenants there rendering 12s. a year and a number of farmers and cottagers paying 108s. (fn. 3) In 1319 there were twenty tofts, 16 oxgangs of land, and 76 acres of land and meadow in the hands of various tenants, who paid in all £9 18s. 10d. to the lady of Hornby. (fn. 4) BOTTON or Bottin comes into notice in the 16th century as a hunting ground. (fn. 5)
The history of the place has left little trace in the records. One John del Woods, outlawed in 1389, held a messuage and land there of Sir Robert de Nevill as of his manor of Hornby. (fn. 6) Thomas Marshall of Wray in 1631 compounded by a fine of £10 for having refused knighthood. (fn. 7)
In connexion with the Church ot England Holy Trinity was built in 1840 at Wray, and a district was assigned to it. The patronage is vested in trustees.
A free school was founded by the will of Captain Richard Pooley, 1685. (fn. 10)